Friday, September 2, 2011

An Introduction is in Order

Where to begin.....

Well, I'm obese. Clinically speaking. But I'm beginning my path to discovering the skinny person that I know resides within me. I've not had the pleasure of meeting this skinny me, but I hope to soon. 


I've been overweight my whole life. Not always obese, but definitely overweight. I've tried a lot of different diets over the years and nothing has really worked. 

High protein diet +15 lbs = FAIL
Weight Watchers -25 lbs +30 lbs + 20 lbs = FAIL
Counting Calories -3 lbs +5 lbs -2 lbs + 3 lbs repeat repeat repeat = FAIL


Seriously, my options were getting slimmer and slimmer (unlike me). Do I take over the counter weight loss pills? No, because I don't want my heart to explode. Do I try some insane detox drink where that's your only substance of nourishment? No, because I might lose my mind of hunger and my husband would quite possibly leave me because I'm a raging, hungry bitch. Do I get surgery? No, that's too painful.

I was on a quest to find the perfect diet. I wanted something that was extreme so that I'd learn to lose my bad habits, but not so crazy that I'd actually stick to it long term. In short, I was looking for a plan that I could follow for life. 


And I think I found it. (drum roll please)


The Fat Smash diet. It's awesome. And so far, it's totally working. (and a HUGE thank you to my friend Shannon for cluing me in on this wonderful discovery of hers)


Basically, there are 4 Phases. The first Phase is a 9-day detox. All the fruits and veggies you want, lots of protein rich beans and grains, no sugar, very little dairy, no starches, etc. Phase 2 introduces a little meat, eggs, caffeine and my personal favorite, avocados. Phase 3 allows a bit more meat, some sugar, pasta and bread, some desserts and alcohol (who doesn't love that?). And finally Phase 4, the for life stage, opens up restrictions a bit more in the hopes that by the end of the 90-day diet, you'll have learned all new habits. 


I'm currently mid-way through Phase 2. And I'm down 11 lbs. Shocking, I know. But already, I'm feeling like I've kicked (I mean SMASHED) through some of my bad habits. I'm eating fruit instead of sweets, I'm eating crunchy vegetables instead of chips, and I'm eating 5 small meals instead of 3 large meals. I've been scouring the internet for new recipes and I think I've converted my meat-loving husband into a semi-vegetarian. It's like a whole new food world has opened up to me! And the best thing? No counting calories, no monthly payments and no crazy potions. 



So, this little blog of mine that you're reading right now? This is going to be my journal that I can turn to vent, cheer, share recipes, pass along information that's helped me along the way and track my progress. I didn't want to start bragging until I knew for sure that I has something to brag about. This is my story of how I'm going to meet the skinny person that I KNOW lives within me.

Current Stats

Total Down: 11 lbs
Total Goal Loss: 90 lbs
Left to Go: 79 lbs

No comments:

Post a Comment