We only made half the recipe because there's just the two of us, but it wasn't really enough. Next time, I think I'm going to pair it with a nice green salad or a cup of soup.
![]() |
| Source: www.metronews.ca |
>>Spicy Broccoli and Cauliflower (Reader's Digest The Vegetarian Cookbook)
NOTE: Interestingly, I found the same recipe posted on a Canadian news website.
Servings: 4
Ingredients:
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 green chile (I subbed a 4oz can of green chilies)
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 lb broccoli florets
- 1 lb cauliflower florets
- salt and pepper
- 3/4 C boiling water
- 2 oz Emmental cheese (ie swiss cheese...yes, I had to look it up)
- 2 oz cheddar cheese
- 3 Tbs dried bread crumbs
- 2 Tbs capers
- 1 to 2 Tbs pickled green peppercorns (I omitted these)
Directions:
- Preheat the broiler.
- Peel and thinly slice the garlic (or cheat like I did and use pre-minced garlic). Seed and chop the green chile (or again cheat and use a 4oz canned of diced chilies).
- Heat oil in large pan over high heat. Add the garlic and chile, stir in the broccoli and cauliflower, sprinkle salt and pepper, and add boiling water. Cover pan and cook for 4-5 mins, til tender. Stir halfway through cooking. Drain well.
- Grate cheeses and mix with bread crumbs.
- Stir the capers and peppercorns over the vegetables. Transfer to a casserole dish, sprinkle cheese mix over the top, and place under the broiler til the cheese melts and the topping turns golden. Serve hot.

No comments:
Post a Comment