Sunday, January 8, 2012

Recipe: Zucchini and Pesto Strata (Quick Fix Vegetarian)

Zucchini is one of my favorite vegetables. It really goes with everything! So when I found this recipe, I had to try it.....and it did not disappoint. 

Although, I did mess up the recipe a bit. I completely skipped the step where you add the broth to the bean mixture. And I didn't realize it until after it was all assembled and ready to go in the oven. Instead of calling it a wash, I just poured the broth over the whole thing and then cooked it. And it was still good. But I bet the texture would be better if I would have followed the directions properly. Oh well, there's always next time! And I WILL be making this again.

Source: andrewsmcmeelcookbooks.blogspot.com



>>Zucchini and Pesto Strata (Quick Fix Vegetarian)


Servings: 4 (I halved the recipe to make 2 servings)


Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup basil (store bought)
- 1 cup canned white beans, drained and rinsed (I used one can of garbonzo beans, whole recipe use 2 cans)
- 3 Tbls olive oil
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 4 cups cubed day-old french bread, crusts removed (I used one whole wheat english muffin, whole recipe use 2 muffins)
- 1 1/2 lbs zucchini, trimmed and thinly sliced (I used 2 zucchinis, whole recipe use 4 zucchini)
- salt and pepper
- 4 ripe plum tomatoes
- 1 roasted red bell pepper, chopped (omitted because I didn't have on hand)


Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In food processor, combine pesto, beans and 2 Tbls olive oil. Blend til smooth. Add the broth (don't forget!!) and process til well blended. Set aside.
- Spread 2/3 of the bread crumbs in the bottom of lightly oiled baking dish and layer half of the zucchini slices on top. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon about half of the pesto sauce on top of the zucchini and top with half of the tomato slices. Sprinkle the roasted pepper over the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Top with a layer of the remaining zucchini slices. Season with salt and pepper and top with the remaining pesto, followed by the remaining tomato slices. Season with salt and pepper. Top with the remaining bread and drizzle with the remaining 1 Tbls of olive oil. Cover tightly and bake til the vegetables are tender and bubbly; approx 30 mins. 
- Remove lid and bake til the top is lightly browned; approx 10 mins.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment